Friday 9 April 2010

Life's Just Too Short

This weekend sees the release of Drew Barrymore's directorial debut.

Just take a second and consider that sentence.

Somebody somewhere in the world woke up one morning and thought to themselves, "I know what should happen. Drew Barrymore should direct a film." This person then gave Drew Barrymore the money to direct a film. This is the world we live in. A world where Avatar makes $2.7 billion ($2.7 BILLION) and Drew Barrymore is allowed to direct films. The film in question is called Whip It and stars Ellen Page of Juno fame (Breathe Garreth, just breathe. Just keep telling yourself, it's only a film. Juno is only a film) and seems to be a coming of age/finding yourself movie set in the world of Roller Derbys.

This does not sound like a good film.

Also out this week is Shelter which is some sort of horror film starring Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers who is as stunningly handsome as he is completely incapable of conveying even the simplest emotions. Which isn't great when your job is to convey a range of emotions, some simple, some complex, sometimes both at the same time. I like to think I'm pretty au fait with film releases and I have never in my life heard of this film.

That is not a good sign.

Also out this week is I Am Love which boasts the most insufferable trailer I've seen in about 5 years. I cannot think of another word I could use that would better describe my reaction upon seeing that trailer ahead of Kick Ass last week. Insufferable.

This is not a good word to use when describing a film trailer.

The point of all this is to say that I won't be going to the cinema this weekend because, as the title of this post makes clear...

No comments:

Post a Comment