Monday 7 June 2010

The Brothers Bloom… well it’s not really a review to be honest

Is it possible to review a film you’ve missed a considerable amount of because you were asleep? Of course it’s not real sleep, the cinema is way too loud for a good, proper sleep. It’s like the kind of non-sleep you get on long haul flights where your eyes are closed and you’re semi-dreaming but with each little shudder the plane makes, you’re basically awake again. Even if it’s possible, I’m not sure it’s fair so I think the best thing to do with The Brothers Bloom is to say, I missed much of it and it has received lots of good reviews so take from that what you will. What I saw of it annoyed, irritated and bored me quite considerably. I’m not a fan of con movies generally and I hate quirky films (“Look at me! I’m so quirky! What will I do next?”). Brothers Bloom is meant to be “charming” but I found it very, very grating.

A late night the night before coupled with an early screening probably didn’t help but whatever. Not for me. However I probably haven’t given it a fair go so I won’t presume to score it.

On the plus side it’s better than Shrink.

No comments:

Post a Comment